Religious Buildings

Latest Articles

St. Mary East Brent by Preb. Wickham

A 4 page leaflet, Church of St. Mary, East Brent. Notes on the church, compiled by the late Prebendary Wickham, vicar 1911 - 1935. Published 1940s? Printed by Shearn Bros. & Co., Burnham-on-Sea.

St Marys Church - Birdcage Tower Clock

Entering by a low door at the bottom of the tower and switching on the lighting we see a stone spiral stair-case winding its way upwards out of sight. The steps, repaired with cement sometime ago, are rather narrow and care has to be taken when ascending and descending. Holding onto the rope “handrail”, that winds around the centre column, ascend 46 steps to reach the bell-ringing chamber door. Opening the door and stepping inside, the steady deep clunk of the clock can be heard...

St Marys Church

  Please see the Gallery on this article which contains various of images of the Church, some are taken from Church Road or as it was known in the past as Church Street and some are of the inside of the building. Also attached is a report produced in 1995 after an inspection of the bell installation was undertaken by John Taylor bell founders to ascertain any required work to the bells in the church tower. This report not only describes the conditions of the bells, but provides...

East Brent Methodist Church

In 1871, the Wesleyans built their church in the centre of the village on a corner of Dodd’s Lane at a cost of £450. Today, Dodd’s Lane is the main Weston to Bridgwater road.   1920 Pulpit purchased   1921 Erection of new shed for conveyances & horses at rear (not now in existence). Cost £113   1925 Concrete laid around chapel   1930 Electricity installed at a cost of £9.16s   1939 Screen erected...

The Church of St Mary - A History by Penny Harris

The Village of East Brent lies on the northeast side of Brent Knoll.  Records in the Doomsday Book say there has been a village here since the Norman invasion of 1066, and the earliest record of a Rector in this parish was 1190. The Doomsday Book also records that ‘Brentmarse', as East Brent was then called, was held by Alnod the Abbot, and that there was a total of 46 houses in the parish. Once the Normans had invaded, many tiny parish churches were demolished and replaced...

St. Mary East Brent by Preb. Wickham

A 4 page leaflet, Church of St. Mary, East Brent. Notes on the church, compiled by the late Prebendary Wickham, vicar 1911 - 1935. Published 1940s? Printed by Shearn Bros. & Co., Burnham-on-Sea.

St Marys Church - Birdcage Tower Clock

Entering by a low door at the bottom of the tower and switching on the lighting we see a stone spiral stair-case winding its way upwards out of sight. The steps, repaired with cement sometime ago, are rather narrow and care has to be taken when ascending and descending. Holding onto the rope “handrail”, that winds around the centre column, ascend 46 steps to reach the bell-ringing chamber door. Opening the door and stepping inside, the steady deep clunk of the clock can be heard...

St Marys Church

  Please see the Gallery on this article which contains various of images of the Church, some are taken from Church Road or as it was known in the past as Church Street and some are of the inside of the building. Also attached is a report produced in 1995 after an inspection of the bell installation was undertaken by John Taylor bell founders to ascertain any required work to the bells in the church tower. This report not only describes the conditions of the bells, but provides...

East Brent Methodist Church

In 1871, the Wesleyans built their church in the centre of the village on a corner of Dodd’s Lane at a cost of £450. Today, Dodd’s Lane is the main Weston to Bridgwater road.   1920 Pulpit purchased   1921 Erection of new shed for conveyances & horses at rear (not now in existence). Cost £113   1925 Concrete laid around chapel   1930 Electricity installed at a cost of £9.16s   1939 Screen erected...

The Church of St Mary - A History by Penny Harris

The Village of East Brent lies on the northeast side of Brent Knoll.  Records in the Doomsday Book say there has been a village here since the Norman invasion of 1066, and the earliest record of a Rector in this parish was 1190. The Doomsday Book also records that ‘Brentmarse', as East Brent was then called, was held by Alnod the Abbot, and that there was a total of 46 houses in the parish. Once the Normans had invaded, many tiny parish churches were demolished and replaced...