The Rooksbridge Baptist Chapel situated in Chapel Road just off the A38 Was founded by Thomas Salvidge of Grange Farm Rooksbridge, it was erected in 1852 and parts of it were extended and altered in 1897.
It is likely that the Jubilee Hall extension was added to the rear of the Building at this time? To coincide with the Silver Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Who were these Gentlemen? And what was the occasion? A caption on the original photo stated “Harvest home 190?” ?
Was one of these gents Thomas Salvidge, one of the founder members of the chapel?
The gent standing centre wearing a straw 'Boater' is believed to be Gilbert Gilling of Rooksbridge, grandfather of Andrew Gilling. The tall gentleman on the extreme left is thought to be George Benjamin Higgs Ham of rooksbridge? Father of Harold, Mike and David Ham.
Left to right. Jack Somerville Sarah Somerville Fred Somerville John Somerville Irene May Burrow Phyliss
Burrow Reginald Burrow Charlotte Ann May Burrow.
Photo kindly sent in by Maureen J Goss of Combe Martin N. Devon. Daughter of Irene.
The Burrows family lived at 'Cootehorn' Farm in Rooksbridge Road.
From the records of known burials taken from gravestones at the rear of the chapel, it appears that the chapel was in use for religious ceremonies up until 1955
The last known burial at the chapel was Susan Annie Gillett in 1955.
The last persons known to worship at the chapel were: Mrs Alice Cox Body and Mrs May Burrows.
To the rear of the building is a garden of rest, where the monuments to those buried there are preserved
Also on display within the chapel is a brass plaque commemorating those residents of the parish who died while serving in the two world wars. Which was found in a shed behind Beaconsfield House in the late 70’s
!It is similar to the one in St Marys Church.